Health Care Services and Insurance
Health Care Services
The first resort for students regarding their health and psychological problems is the Health and Guidance Center (HGC). Students apply with their Student ID Card to the Patient Reception Desk. The student's initial examination, tests, and treatment are carried out at the HGC within the capacity and in accordance with the regulations. In cases that call for further examination, tests and treatment, state and university or private hospitals are resorted to. There is a treatment fee as determined by the Council of Higher Education. This fee must be paid for each visit to a physician. For detailed information, you can see http://srm.metu.edu.tr/en/.
Students have to have valid health insurance during their stay in Türkiye. Please pay attention to following your insurance process in order not to face any problems or pay any debt later. Once your initial health insurance expires, you have to renew your health insurance inform Migration Office regarding your health insurance renewal. Please do not forget to renew your health insurance for it might produce unfortunate legal and health problems.
Governmental health insurance (General Health Insurance/GHI/GSS) available for international students is strongly recommended by the university or you can have private health insurance.
In order to have GSS, you need to apply online via e-devlet within 3 months following your registration (first registration to the university) and after receiving your foreign national ID number. (If you do not apply within this period, you will not have the chance to apply to GSS again) For the 2023 year, the annual GSS premium is around 4800 TL. To apply for GSS, Once you receive your residence permit card, you should follow the below-listed steps
- Inform the ISO about your foreign ID number so that we can update your information on the system
- Visit a PTT Office and get an e-devlet password
- Visit www.turkiye.gov.tr and log in with your foreign ID number and e-devlet password
- Search for "Yabancı Uyruklu Öğrencilerin GSS Başvurusu ve Takibi" and then click "başvuru yap" (apply) link
- After your application, wait for 2-3 days and visit the same page to check your application status and make sure that it is approved
- Visit https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/sosyal-guvenlik-sosyal-guvenlik-kurumu-kart-i... , login with your e-devlet password, select "Diğer Tahsilatlar"-"GSS Prim" and enter your foreign ID number that starts with 99 and then maket he payment online
- After 30 days following your payment, visit https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/spas-mustahaklik-sorgulama and get a proof document (müstehaklık). The document should state "Müstehaktır, provizyon alabilir."
- You can visit the Ankara Migration Office and submit this document along with a petition. You do not need to take an appointment to submit it. Just visit the "evrak" unit of the Ankara Migration Office.
Students who do not apply for the GSS within the 3-month legal period for the application cannot benefit from this right afterward. Therefore, students are strongly advised not to ignore this procedure. If you change your program or your program level (e.g. from undergraduate to master’s) you have the right to apply again.
***International students who have valid health insurance in Türkiye through their parents or by bilateral agreements are to submit a document proving this to the Migration Management.