Mission: METU’s mission is to attain excellence in research, education and public service for society, humanity, and nature, in an environment nurturing creative and critical thinking, innovation, leadership, and universal values
Vision: A leading international university that transforms its region and the world.
A comprehensive state university with three campuses
- 28000+ students (of which 8250+ are graduate students) with a female/male ratio of 44/56.
- Availability of a variety of major, minor and double-major programs and a wide spectrum of interdisciplinary graduate programs:
- 5 faculties offering 43 undergraduate degree programs and 5 graduate schools offering 107 masters and 69 Ph.D. programs offered at METU Ankara Campus.
- 15 undergraduate and 5 graduate programs at METU Northern Cyprus Campus.
- 6 graduate programs at METU Erdemli Campus housing our Institute of Marine Sciences (on the Mediterranean coastline).
- Majority of METU undergraduate students received from the top 1% of 2,000,000+ applicants annually taking the National University Entrance Examination.
- 1250 world-class full-time faculty members (with %70 of all having earned their Ph.D. degrees from reputable universities abroad) and 1350 additional research staff.
- More than 130,000 alumni organized under 40 (18 national and 22 international) alumni associations around the globe.
- Pioneering university with numerous firsts in its history (first internet provider of Turkey, first campus abroad, first Faculty Development Program, etc.)
METU/ODTÜ as a leading international university
- METU is Turkey’s premier state university rated among the top world universities in several fields/rankings (i.e. QS, Times Higher Education, Webometrics, Shanghai, etc.) over the years (THE “World University Rankings 2014-2015” rank 85th among top 400 universities; Top 100 Universities by Reputation)
- In QS, METU repeatedly ranks among top universities in the world in 15 subject areas under engineering and technology, basic sciences, and social sciences.
- English as the only language of instruction in all its degree programs
- Over 2000 international students from 95 different countries studying toward a myriad of academic degrees.
- 2000+ international undergraduate students apply each year with 13% acceptance rate.
- Over 800 bilateral exchange and cooperation agreements
- Annually mobility flow of 950+ students and 260+ staff.
- A member of many associations and networks dealing with international education and exchange such as UNICA, EUA, IIE, CEASAR, SEFI, EMUNI, Magna Carta Observatory.
- Actively participates in AIESEC, IAESTE, HUAWEI, BOEING summer internship programs.
- ABET accreditation for all engineering programs.
- Repeatedly 5th among the "Most Successful Design Schools" of Americas and Europe according to the Red Dot Design Ranking.
- 23 international joint-degree programs and protocols (4 undergraduate programs with State University of New York (SUNY); 19 graduate degree programs with universities in the US and Europe)
- Recipient of Higher Education Council (YÖK) Excellence in Academia Award for International Collaboration with CERN.
Campus Life (Ankara campus)
- A lively and vibrant campus rated as “Turkish University with Richest Social Life” by Newsweek-Turkey.
- A self-sustaining 45 square kilometers (17-mile squares) campus with a forested area of 30 square kilometers (12-mile squares) including its very own lake, Lake Eymir as well as 19 dorms, many shops, restaurants, cafes, banks, medical center, museums, libraries and other facilities.
- Dormitory capacity of approximately 7700 students with priority placement given to international students.
- A wide range of sports and recreational facilities, including gymnasiums, tennis courts, basketball and football fields, jogging trails, Olympic-size indoor swimming pool, and an outdoor swimming pool.
- As off-campus facilities, lodges at Elmadağ (30 kilometers from the METU Ankara campus) and a mountain resort at Uludağ near Bursa where mountain climbing and various skiing activities are possible during winter for students and staff.
- 96 students clubs, 37 sports teams and 1000+ in-house cultural and sports activities organized by students each year.
- Additionally, METU Cultural and Convention Center hosts many cultural, intellectual, art activities throughout the year, open to the general public.
- Estimated living expenses for students are minimally $250.00 to $350.00 (US dollars) per month.